Can you resume your auto insurance policy one it was canceled.

Can you resume your auto insurance policy one it was canceled.

Postby carlbropt » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:00 am

Can you resume your auto insurance policy one it was canceled? ok it was canceled 5 months ago I wasn't using the car so I didn't need insurance at a moment. Now I am planning on using the car again. Can I just call them and ask them to send me a monthly fee and get insurance resumed or do I need to go to insurance place and talk to Insurance sales agent and pay $200 finders fee again? I don't want to pay those fees again. Is there a way to resume my insurance without those extra fees. I am a California resident.
carlbropt

Re: Can you resume your auto insurance policy one it was canceled. It depends on what company you

Postby Grover Foster » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:38 am

It depends on what company you are with and their reinstatement policies. Where I work, if the policy was cancelled less than six months, it can be reinstated with the same policy number and coverages. If cancelled more than six months, we write a new policy. So your best bet is to call your agent and ask him/her if your policy can be reinstated or if you need a brand new policy.

I have never heard of a finder's fee either, of course that could be a Cali thing, I'm not sure. I think I'd go to another company that doesn't require that, if possible.
Grover Foster

Re: Can you resume your auto insurance policy one it was canceled. No, you will have to take out a

Postby kolo999 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:00 pm

No, you will have to take out a new policy for coverage.

Never heard of a finders fee charged by an insurance agent or company. Just call an agent or company and apply and ask for down payment with balance due monthly.

Hope this helps
kolo999

Re: Can you resume your auto insurance policy one it was canceled. You will have to start a new po

Postby richardwinsloow » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:38 pm

You will have to start a new policy with a new application. You should call around and get another agent. The $200 finders fee is excessive. Our agency used to charge a fee of $20 for new assigned risk policies ONLY because of the large amount of paperwork, low commission and high cancellation rate. We would never charge that on any other policy. Pick up the phone book & call other agents. Call someone that has a list of companies they represent under their name. When you call ask if they charge a finders fee. If they do, call someone else. I was under the impression that "finders" fees are limited. Call the CA Dept of Insurance to find out if they are limited in CA.

You won't be able to avoid a new application but you certainly should be able to avoid a finders fee. Sounds like maybe you had a broker that doesn't represent any companies. Agents get paid on commission from the companies they have an agency agreement with, they don't need to charge insureds additional fees.
richardwinsloow

Re: Can you resume your auto insurance policy one it was canceled. no you must get new insurance.

Postby Mihddtui » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:32 pm

no you must get new insurance.
Mihddtui

Re: Can you resume your auto insurance policy one it was canceled. IN MOST STATES IF YOU LET THE I

Postby Trissinas » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:49 am

carlbropt wrote:Can you resume your auto insurance policy one it was canceled? ok it was canceled 5 months ago I wasn't using the car so I didn't need insurance at a moment. Now I am planning on using the car again. Can I just call them and ask them to send me a monthly fee and get insurance resumed or do I need to go to insurance place and talk to Insurance sales agent and pay $200 finders fee again? I don't want to pay those fees again. Is there a way to resume my insurance without those extra fees. I am a California resident.

IN MOST STATES IF YOU LET THE INSURANCE EXPIRE FOR MORE THAT 30 DAYS YOU WILL HAVE TO START THE PROCESS ALL OVER AGAIN AS IF YOU NEVER HAD ANY TO BEGIN WITH.
Trissinas

Re: Can you resume your auto insurance policy one it was canceled. No. You must reapply and be iss

Postby murkenbla » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:07 pm

carlbropt wrote:Can you resume your auto insurance policy one it was canceled? ok it was canceled 5 months ago I wasn't using the car so I didn't need insurance at a moment. Now I am planning on using the car again. Can I just call them and ask them to send me a monthly fee and get insurance resumed or do I need to go to insurance place and talk to Insurance sales agent and pay $200 finders fee again? I don't want to pay those fees again. Is there a way to resume my insurance without those extra fees. I am a California resident.

No. You must reapply and be issued a whole new policy.
murkenbla

Re: Can you resume your auto insurance policy one it was canceled. As a Geico employee our policy

Postby gonzo1978 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:37 pm

As a Geico employee our policy as well as most other ins. companies, there is a grace period of 7 days. If you reinstate within 7 days of the cancellation date you can get the same rate but you must pay 2 months upfront. After that grace period we will reinstate you but there are additional fees which you must pay upfront along with 2 months upfront. After 90 days you pretty much have to sign up from the beginning. keep in mind if you stick with the same company they will be charging you a higher rate because of your negligence in paying.
gonzo1978

Re: Can you resume your auto insurance policy one it was ca

Postby stevenricherd » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:37 am

Have a replacement policy read to go. You should always be on the lookout for a cheaper policy. Rates fluctuate across the industry and if your carrier is slow to react, you should definitely go in another direction. Accordingly, you shouldn’t cancel your policy before you have a new one picked out. Do not go without car insurance. Cancel one and start another at the same time.

product liability insurance
stevenricherd

Re: Can you resume your auto insurance policy one it was ca

Postby herrys » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:42 am

Calling your agent is probably the fastest way to notify the company of your resume. Sometimes a phone call is all it takes, but most of the time a signature is required for resume your insurance policy.

Return to Car Insurance