How do you change a steering wheel on dodge caravan.

How do you change a steering wheel on dodge caravan.

Postby bbahig » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:08 am

I bought a 1997 Dodge Caravan and the airbag on the drivers side has been exploded, my question is, how do I change the steering wheel so I can put a new one on?
bbahig

Re: How do you change a steering wheel on dodge caravan. you can just replace the airbag

Postby supermanasd » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:06 pm

you can just replace the airbag you do not have to replace the whole steering wheel. and i suggest that you have a professional do this as it can be dangerous working with air bags
supermanasd

Re: How do you change a steering wheel on dodge caravan. Disconnect the battery and fuse

Postby LoveckaSezona » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:18 pm

bbahig wrote:I bought a 1997 Dodge Caravan and the airbag on the drivers side has been exploded, my question is, how do I change the steering wheel so I can put a new one on?

Disconnect the battery and fuses for the Airbag, pop off the center cap, and unscrew the wheel from the column. Reassemble in reverse.
LoveckaSezona

Re: How do you change a steering wheel on dodge caravan. there's some screws on the

Postby DortMore » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:28 am

there's some screws on the back of the steering wheel about mid-back you take those off and it alows you to take some part of the stearing wheel off ldon't know what exactly] then you remove the bag and what not and there should be a bolt in the middle set back some. use an air gun to take it off [to make it easier] and if it doen't just slide off [most likly won't ] you'll have to get a stearing wheel puller or hit 2 sides of it with a rubber malet [not siting in seat] and eventually it will come off. but your better off having in a mechanic do it
DortMore

Re: How do you change a steering wheel on dodge caravan. A Dodge Caravan *Sweet* Paint

Postby DinterkiSeaskli » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:22 pm

A Dodge Caravan *Sweet*

Paint "Go Faster Stripes" On It

Just For Kicks
DinterkiSeaskli

Re: How do you change a steering wheel on dodge caravan. You don't need to remove th

Postby Parisana » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:38 am

bbahig wrote:I bought a 1997 Dodge Caravan and the airbag on the drivers side has been exploded, my question is, how do I change the steering wheel so I can put a new one on?

You don't need to remove the steering wheel to replace the airbag. Dis-connect the battery, there are I believe four (4) torx tip screws holding the airbag to the steering wheel. Remove and replace. Ther wil be a connector underneath the bag, easily removed. Remember to completely remove both the positive and negative battery cables and take your time.
Parisana

Re: How do you change a steering wheel on dodge caravan.

Postby hybenz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:27 am

I need to change the steering column since my problem is it shifts on the column with tilt wheel. Mine has an automatic transaxle. Do i just have to connect the gearshift indicator pointer in its approximate original position?? I just followed what I read on Dodge Caravan repair so I am not sure with this one..
Last edited by hybenz on Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
hybenz

Postby indiandrives1 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:21 am

I bought a 1997 Dodge Caravan and the airbag on the drivers side has been exploded, my question is, how do I change the steering wheel so I can put a new one on?
indiandrives1

Postby logelmark » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:25 am

hybenz wrote:I need to change the steering column since my problem is it shifts on the column with tilt wheel. Mine has an automatic transaxle. Do i just have to connect the gearshift indicator pointer in its approximate original position?? I just followed what I read on Dodge Caravan repair so I am not sure with this one..

Noob here and just did the job last week. I recommend getting a manual for it so that you would understand how it works. Just relocate the shifts and would be find. On the other hand, if you are looking for Dodge parts, you can find a lot of them using the internet service.
logelmark

Postby Dashiell Chauncey » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:27 am

This aftermarket steering wheel conversion is being done on a Mazda Miata but it can be done on any other vehicle the same way. Some people change the steering wheel for looks and for more leg room. You will also shed a few pounds, this steering wheel shed 10 pounds, not a lot but every bit helps. First either find the fuse for the airbag or remove the battery cable so that you don’t accidentally make the airbag go off. Make sure that the steering wheel is turned to where tour wheels are straight foreward. To remove the steering wheel, start with the four bolts in the back side of the wheel. These nuts will allow the air bag to be removed.custom wheels
Dashiell Chauncey

Return to Dodge Forum