Why is the voltage so high on my old ford truck.

Why is the voltage so high on my old ford truck.

Postby carloanbadcredit11 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:06 am

I own a '92 Ford F150 5.0 liter. The truck runs fine but it developed a recent charging problem. The volt guage shoots up to 18 volts when I increase RPMs. It usually goes down to the normal range at idle speed. Is the alternator shot or could it be something else?
carloanbadcredit11

Re: Why is the voltage so high on my old ford truck. Probably the alternator, take i

Postby fiberjom » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:57 am

carloanbadcredit11 wrote:I own a '92 Ford F150 5.0 liter. The truck runs fine but it developed a recent charging problem. The volt guage shoots up to 18 volts when I increase RPMs. It usually goes down to the normal range at idle speed. Is the alternator shot or could it be something else?

Probably the alternator, take it to a shop and have a charging system analysis done or if you trust the pros at autozone, they do this for free.
fiberjom

Re: Why is the voltage so high on my old ford truck. chances are with a truck that n

Postby DrFilkuZ » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:24 pm

chances are with a truck that new the regulator is built into the alternator so either you need to replace the regulator if external or the alternator if the regulator is internal
DrFilkuZ

Re: Why is the voltage so high on my old ford truck. voltage regulator is your probl

Postby Cheburapsa » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:30 am

carloanbadcredit11 wrote:I own a '92 Ford F150 5.0 liter. The truck runs fine but it developed a recent charging problem. The volt guage shoots up to 18 volts when I increase RPMs. It usually goes down to the normal range at idle speed. Is the alternator shot or could it be something else?

voltage regulator is your problem output diod is bad causeing overchsrge ,this could cause your batt.to EXPLODE ! regulator may be seperate from alt.check with parts store to be sure
Cheburapsa

Re: Why is the voltage so high on my old ford truck. voltage regulator bad smallsilv

Postby DenterkJSeasl » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:55 pm

voltage regulator bad smallsilver box about 3x3x1 inches should b on firewall
DenterkJSeasl

Re: Why is the voltage so high on my old ford truck.

Postby Julin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:13 am

Ford trucks use a distributor to send high voltage currents through the spark plug wires to make the spark plugs spark at the right time and these currents come from the ignition coil.To improve the performance replacing it at the right time is very important. try to disconnect the negative battery, spark plug wires and the coil wire from the distribtor cap Make an alignment mark on the side of the distributor housing for the position of the tip of the rotor before removal.Install the replacement distributor into the engine so that the orientation mark on distributor housing lines up with the mark on the engine block.Reinstall the rotor with the tip pointing at the rotor alignment mark on the side of the distributor housing.Reinstall plug wires and coil wire according to their corresponding markings. If replacing the distributor cap, transfer markings from the old cap to the new.Connect the negative battery cable. Ford f550 for sale

Source:(ehow dot com/how_7686036_change-distributor-ford-truck dot html)
Julin

Postby SamSmith » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:09 am

voltage regulator bad smallsilver box about 3x3x1 inches should b on firewall

Golf carts
SamSmith

Postby johntied1 » Fri May 25, 2012 7:42 am

You should take your ford truck to motor electrician, if you ignore this problem their will be danger of short circuit in your car.

Toronto Airport Limo
Last edited by johntied1 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johntied1

Postby lindadale » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:18 am

I think you have to check your engine once if pressure comes on engine this problem happens always.
http://www.amwasia.com
lindadale

Return to Ford Forum