should I maintain my car at the Honda dealership.

should I maintain my car at the Honda dealership.

Postby buiduibon » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:03 am

I have a 2006 Honda civic and I bought used with seven thousand miles. Since I got the car I've been maintinaing at the Honda dealership but as u probably know its really expensive. Should I just continue maintning at Honda. Only last thing I was reading the manual and they say I have to use Honda stuff or it will cause problems. How should I maintain should I use synthetic oil?
buiduibon

Re: should I maintain my car at the Honda dealership. I have an 06 Accord which I onl

Postby mitinvaleriiasdf » Sat May 02, 2009 4:19 am

I have an 06 Accord which I only maintain at the dealership. I trust that they do a good job though. I agree that it is a little more pricey but it is worth it to me. If you are straped for cash then I don't recomend you take it to the dealership :)
mitinvaleriiasdf

Re: should I maintain my car at the Honda dealership. Personally, I do not recommend

Postby cmokudwoh » Sat May 02, 2009 6:24 pm

Personally, I do not recommend using synthetic engine oil ever. If you have already switched over to it. DO NOT EVER use regular oil after using synthetic, engine damage can result.

The one good thing about synthetic is a longer oil change interval, which should be at your own judgement.

Having your car serviced regularly at the dealership will build a good relationship with your service advisor/manager. This will come in handy when and IF you need major repairs done. A lot of service personnel will help you with goodwill repairs and covering some charges if you are a regular customer.

Only use genuine Honda transmission fluids, it is all that is recommended in the owner and service manuals. Use of aftermarket products can possibly void warranties. Especially if the transmission is involved in warranty repairs...Honda does tear down and very closely inspect warranty transmissions so be aware!
cmokudwoh

Re: should I maintain my car at the Honda dealership. Use of maintenance services oth

Postby twotwonone » Sun May 03, 2009 10:56 am

Use of maintenance services other than dealers does not invalidate any factory warranties. Dealers charge $90.00 per hour for repairs. I personally prefer synthetic oil.
twotwonone

Re: should I maintain my car at the Honda dealership. I worked for Honda for many yea

Postby DinterkpSeaskli » Sun May 03, 2009 1:25 pm

buiduibon wrote:I have a 2006 Honda civic and I bought used with seven thousand miles. Since I got the car I've been maintinaing at the Honda dealership but as u probably know its really expensive. Should I just continue maintning at Honda. Only last thing I was reading the manual and they say I have to use Honda stuff or it will cause problems. How should I maintain should I use synthetic oil?

I worked for Honda for many years. As far as servicing, just follow the honda recommended service schedule in the owners manual. Since you purchased it with such low mileage I would continue with synthetic oil. It will definitely help in engine life and I've heard people say it helps with gas mileage (not 10 more miles per gallon, but a little bit). Just make sure your mechanic uses good fluids (valvoline etc.) and I would recommend if changing belts use either Goodyear or Factory Honda. Also don't be afraid to ask the dealer if they match other mechanics prices, or call before going in to see if they are running specials.
DinterkpSeaskli

Re: should I maintain my car at the Honda dealership. "Personally, I do not reco

Postby lilianna » Sun May 03, 2009 5:17 pm

"Personally, I do not recommend using synthetic engine oil ever. If you have already switched over to it. DO NOT EVER use regular oil after using synthetic, engine damage can result."

This is completely untrue, they are interchangeable and no engine damage will result. I cannot believe you call yourself a "certified mechanic" and spew out such unfounded and untrue nonsense.

As for the OP's question, I use other brands besides OEM Honda for some things in my car but some things I will only use Honda for, like the Power Steering Fluid and they make great timing belts as well. If you're taking it in for a valve adjustment or a simple oil change, then you'd probably be fine taking it anywhere, as they're easy to do. As for whether or not you should use synthetic oil, that is up to your driving habits to decide. Do you frequently take short trips (less than 5 miles) or wish to extend your intervals past factory recommendations? If so, then synthetic is for you. If you drive mostly highway miles or change the oil at the factory specified intervals then a conventional will serve you just as well and will protect your engine just as well.
lilianna

Re: should I maintain my car at the Honda dealership. Honestly it really depends on t

Postby aminomgodster » Mon May 04, 2009 5:25 am

buiduibon wrote:I have a 2006 Honda civic and I bought used with seven thousand miles. Since I got the car I've been maintinaing at the Honda dealership but as u probably know its really expensive. Should I just continue maintning at Honda. Only last thing I was reading the manual and they say I have to use Honda stuff or it will cause problems. How should I maintain should I use synthetic oil?

Honestly it really depends on the dealer. There are as many bad dealers out there as good ones. For example, in Louisville KY, there are two dealerships. Sam Swope and Neil Huffman. They both are horrible. They couldn't do minor or major repairs without having to take the car back several times, and even then ended up having to remedy the problems myself. Who knew a dealer wouldnt know how to bleed a radiator.

Your best bet, though impossible to find, is to find a competent private mechanic shop who will use Honda parts. Do not let them use aftermarket parts. They just dont last no matter what they say. I've had hondas for over 15 years and I'm not trying to make a buck off of you, so take my word for it. Check out the shop before you drop the car off. Make sure it looks clean and organized. If not, its usually a dead giveaway they'll suck.

Synthetic oil is fine to use if you stick with it from here on out. Just don't switch back and forth especially as you put a lot of miles on and you'll be fine
aminomgodster

Re: should I maintain my car at the Honda dealership. Yes. Simple as that. I have a 2

Postby othoeg » Mon May 04, 2009 9:31 am

Yes. Simple as that. I have a 2006 Civic EX and I went to the dealership religiously for oil changes and 1,000 mile check-ups. Although I did not extend my warranty, After going that many times I learned what I needed to do to maintain my car as the dealership did. There are plenty of other places to get work done such as: Tire/wheel change & rotation, oil changes, oil filter changes, and just your normal inspections at a significantly cheaper price than the Honda dealerships offer. All buisnesses will tell you that you should use only their brand of equipment ect.... if they told everyone there was better aftermarket items out there they would not make as much profit as they would if they would if they tell them otherwise (like they do now). PLENTY of aftermarket things like air intake systems, spark plugs, exhaust systems enhance the life and efficiency of the engine. As for oil...i would stay synthetic...its just plain better lol.
othoeg

Re: should I maintain my car at the Honda dealership. Your salesperson should of went

Postby nerishiann » Tue May 05, 2009 2:23 pm

Your salesperson should of went over all of that with you!
nerishiann

Re: should I maintain my car at the Honda dealership. its best to do it at a honda de

Postby QortTore » Tue May 05, 2009 2:39 pm

its best to do it at a honda dealer cause they know everything about your honda
QortTore

Next

Return to Honda Forum