1989 Honda Accord LX Electrical Problem

1989 Honda Accord LX Electrical Problem

Postby peterodgerson » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:32 pm

Hello Members,

I am having problems with my 1989 Honda Accord LX. I just recently replaced the battery. I drove it a short distance and parked. When I returned the Honda would not start and there were no lights on the control panel. I found someone to jump start the battery and drove home. I went to start it in the morning I had the same problem.

I contacted a local service shop and spoke with a mechanic. He told me the problem is probably not the alternator because the engine would cut out and stop while I was driving.

He said it could be a blown fuse for the battery.

I am asking members for any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this problem. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

P. Rodgerson
peterodgerson

Re: 1989 Honda Accord LX Electrical Problem

Postby tomkent45 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:23 pm

Honda cars have had ignition faults for a long time and thousands of them were called back. You may need to buy some new spark plugs. Also go with the tune up along with the coil in the distributor. The coil when it gets hot will run fine for a while and then just shut off like someone turned the key off. Have it tested before anything. Probably go to few honda dealers and get the best price for the distributor.
tomkent45

Postby peterodgerson » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:54 pm

hello Tomkent 45,

Thank you for your suggestion on how to fix my electrical problem. I will give it a try.

Pete Rodgerson
peterodgerson

Postby hybenz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:54 am

One more thing could be the wiring. Sometimes there were some dislocation of wires whereas resulted to electrical issues. On the other hand, could also consider a distributor or the alternator thing. There are replacement Honda parts out there that could help you resolved the issue. I bet the are now discounted parts which helps you save money.
hybenz

Return to Honda Forum