What are the disadvantages of using a hybrid car.

What are the disadvantages of using a hybrid car.

Postby autolenders11 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:21 pm

I have read everything available on the subject on all the major search engines.

If you have any personal inputs, then please post them here.

This is for a symposium on :

"Hybrid Cars: A Cause of Concern"
autolenders11

Re: What are the disadvantages of using a hybrid car. Upon failure of it's electr

Postby Neequesok » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:40 am

autolenders11 wrote:I have read everything available on the subject on all the major search engines.

Upon failure of it's electric motor, fuel consumption will be heavier than a normal car.
Neequesok

Re: What are the disadvantages of using a hybrid car. expensive maintenence if it doe

Postby virtualxt4cy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:26 am

expensive maintenence if it does break down and this is just my opinion but from the few i have driven they basically take the joy out of driving
virtualxt4cy

Re: What are the disadvantages of using a hybrid car. The above answers are not reall

Postby crusclusters » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:39 pm

autolenders11 wrote:I have read everything available on the subject on all the major search engines.

The above answers are not really realistic since the batteries really won't fail for at least 10 years after you buy the car. By that time, it is probably time to replace the car anyways.

In addition, maintenance is no more expensive on a hybrid than a gas-powered car.

While there are many advantages to owning a hybrid, there are 2 main arguments on why not to purchase a hybrid.

One argument is that the cost of one is between $5K-$10K more than a comparable, non-hybrid model. While you save at the pumps, it takes awhile to make up this difference that you pay for the car, upfront.

The other, more concerning, argument is the theory around the Electromagnetic Field (EMF) in a hybrid and the long-term effects that they can have. Check out the below article for more information.
crusclusters

Re: What are the disadvantages of using a hybrid car. Here's a big concern Hybrid

Postby Martina Quinn » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:39 am

Here's a big concern: Hybrid Cars are too Quiet.

Maybe not a big concern for owning a hybrid - unless you're the one who kills a pedestrian.

The National Federation for the Blind has brought this problem to the light by pushing forth legislation on the issue.

A new bill is expected in Congress that will look at the safety of hybrid cars and the blind. The nearly-silent cars are difficult to detect for pedestrians who can't see them.

Car manufacturers will likely address this issue for their own liability reasons before Congress ever acts. It's not just the blind - we all use noise as feedback in our environment. Studies show hybrid cars need to be more than 40% closer to pedestrians in order to be heard.

Video interview at my site with research from UC Riverside:

http://www.hybrid-car-show.com/plug-in-hybrid-car.html
Martina Quinn

Re: What are the disadvantages of using a hybrid car.

Postby bluesky » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Thanks for sharing this information,it’s very good.
Milan Hotels
bluesky

Return to Hyundai Forum