2008 ford escape - transmission question.

2008 ford escape - transmission question.

Postby MrEye06 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:34 pm

So it appears that the 08 escape shares the cd4e tranny that underpins the previous vehicle.

My question has to do with its long term durability. From what i understand the tranny started out with the mazda 626 and had numerous problems, it was given some sort of upgrades in 1998 and a TSB was issued during the early years of the escape. From reading on escape forums, it seems either some people get trannys that will go and most get a somewhat reliable unit.

I have seen insane maintenance schedules (complete flush every 15-20k) recommended on those forums, but it seems as if the people with the most problems have early model escapes. This issue is the one hangup I have with the new escape and am considering purchasing one. My dad has an 01 highlander with 135k and the tranny has had not one hiccup. Will this transmission last 120k? I wonder how many people have that kind of mileage on 04+ escapes and if I can expect it to last?
MrEye06

Re: 2008 ford escape - transmission question. it has been upgraded a few time

Postby zerocasio » Fri May 08, 2009 2:23 pm

MrEye06 wrote:So it appears that the 08 escape shares the cd4e tranny that underpins the previous vehicle.

My question has to do with its long term durability. From what i understand the tranny started out with the mazda 626 and had numerous problems, it was given some sort of upgrades in 1998 and a TSB was issued during the early years of the escape. From reading on escape forums, it seems either some people get trannys that will go and most get a somewhat reliable unit.

I have seen insane maintenance schedules (complete flush every 15-20k) recommended on those forums, but it seems as if the people with the most problems have early model escapes. This issue is the one hangup I have with the new escape and am considering purchasing one. My dad has an 01 highlander with 135k and the tranny has had not one hiccup. Will this transmission last 120k? I wonder how many people have that kind of mileage on 04+ escapes and if I can expect it to last?

it has been upgraded a few times ,and is now considered to be a reliable transmission,finally they think they have all the bugs out of it ,but so far the newer versions isn't giving any problems at all,but the complete flushing isn't necessary to do that often ,every 60 thousand miles is plenty on the newer version,so far though they seem to be doing real good,and it has a good enough warranty on it to cover it ,should you ever need it,good luck on it hope this helps.
zerocasio

Re: 2008 ford escape - transmission question. The transmission had issues whe

Postby Moke » Fri May 08, 2009 5:52 pm

MrEye06 wrote:So it appears that the 08 escape shares the cd4e tranny that underpins the previous vehicle.

The transmission had issues when it came out in 1995 under the Contour... By about 1999 the issues were resolved and figure it this way.. almost all Escapes came with CD4Es (manuals and hybrids about the only exceptions) since they came out... I may have seen 3-4 of them in the shop in that time.

Most have 120k on them already and never had issues...

Unless you remove the transmission, you can never change the oil filter in the transmission, but Ford recommended a drain and refill every 60k miles even though some recommend the flush at 30k miles (15k a little too much.. actually I go by fluid condition personally)
Moke

Re: 2008 ford escape - transmission question.

Postby wink » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:25 am

i have purchased same model and unit. still found similar problem. been looking for some information about the tsb on how to resolve this.
wink

Return to Mazda Forum