How do I know if my Subaru Legacy 1994 is AWD.

How do I know if my Subaru Legacy 1994 is AWD.

Postby unbellivebel » Tue May 12, 2009 3:06 am

Hi, this may sound dumb but I am new to driving. I have bought a Subaru Legacy 1994 Sedan. I do not know if it is AWD or not. Is their anyway to find it out? I heard all Subaru cars are AWD. And is there any difference between AWD and 4WD?
unbellivebel

Re: How do I know if my Subaru Legacy 1994 is AWD. AWD = All Wheel Drive, always

Postby offiteBok » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:31 pm

AWD = All Wheel Drive, always

4wd you can choose to use 2 wheels,

and if needed all 4 wheels, and Subaru is always

a 4wd or Awd car so neither way you have one of them.
offiteBok

Re: How do I know if my Subaru Legacy 1994 is AWD. AWD implies that all wheels mov

Postby Topilaisa » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:16 pm

unbellivebel wrote:Hi, this may sound dumb but I am new to driving. I have bought a Subaru Legacy 1994 Sedan. I do not know if it is AWD or not. Is their anyway to find it out? I heard all Subaru cars are AWD. And is there any difference between AWD and 4WD?

AWD implies that all wheels move together at the same speed.

4WD means they can all move independently of each other according to grip.

I think...

Anyway, the only way I can think of is to put coloured markers on the back wheels. If it's AWD then the coloured markers should be in the same place after you drive a bit - in a dead straight line.

If it's 4WD then the back wheels should've moved independently of each other and I guess the markers may be in different positions to each other.

Just a guess, I dunno, try it.
Topilaisa

Re: How do I know if my Subaru Legacy 1994 is AWD. AWD means your car is always 4w

Postby rockboyzaza » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:19 pm

unbellivebel wrote:Hi, this may sound dumb but I am new to driving. I have bought a Subaru Legacy 1994 Sedan. I do not know if it is AWD or not. Is their anyway to find it out? I heard all Subaru cars are AWD. And is there any difference between AWD and 4WD?

AWD means your car is always 4wd.

4wd means you can select 4wd or 2wd. Usually you can't leave a car or truck in 4wd all the time, its only a part time system meant for temporary use.

Just stop on a dirt road somewhere put the car in first gear and hammer the gas pedal to the floor. If your front tires spin like crazy and you dont take off very fast then its FWD and well...... youll know if its AWD. Not all the older subaru' s are AWD. It was an option back then. Usually it would say somewhere on the car, possibly the door jam, or the user manual.

Another far less exciting way to tell is to just look under the rear of the car, do you see a rear differential between the rear wheels with a driveshaft running back to it from the front of the car? Is their a driveshaft going to either rear wheel? If so than you have AWD. The differential will be about the size of your head give or take. If not then there will be no means of driving the rear wheels and it will be obvious.

Also I think Itll usually say on your title and registration, but Im not possitive Id have to look.

Subaru makes great engines, that car will last a long time

You should be able to figure it out now
rockboyzaza

Re: How do I know if my Subaru Legacy 1994 is AWD. AWD =

Postby dariuswilkinson » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:42 am

offiteBok wrote:AWD = All Wheel Drive, always

4wd you can choose to use 2 wheels,

and if needed all 4 wheels, and Subaru is always

a 4wd or Awd car so neither way you have one of them.

This is right. If you still have hesitation in figuring out what's on your subie, you can ask the dealership or the previous owner. That's the best thing that you can do. For more questions about subie and Subaru parts and accessories, you can PM me.
dariuswilkinson

Return to Subaru Forum