Volkswagen Jetta.

Volkswagen Jetta.

Postby reed_2000 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:23 am

Is the Volkswagen Jetta a good car? I heard that after 1995 they became lemons-is this true? I really love these cars, and would like to consider buying one next year, but a relatively problem-free car is of great importance to me!
reed_2000

Re: Volkswagen Jetta. The car has some problems, howe

Postby dokIntehott » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:25 am

The car has some problems, however any used car does. The window regulator is the biggest problem on that car. If you want one the first thing to do is find good shop in your area and talk to them. Most good repair shops will take a few minutes and go over any questions you have. If your looking for a VW call a shop that works mainly on them as they will know what goes on with them. Then once you start looking take the car in for a pre-sale check up. Let the shop go over everything and tell you what they find.

Keep in mind that some folks will not want you to take the car to a shop I would avoid buying from them. Also if you buy a car you do not like because its "problem free" you will never be happy. Good Luck!
dokIntehott

Re: Volkswagen Jetta. they all complain about "p

Postby cum2000x » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:53 am

reed_2000 wrote:Is the Volkswagen Jetta a good car? I heard that after 1995 they became lemons-is this true? I really love these cars, and would like to consider buying one next year, but a relatively problem-free car is of great importance to me!

they all complain about "problems" but not a single one is listed.

They are repeating urban legends. The Jetta is a decent reliable car. Are you looking for New? 100K warranty so what is the fear. Lots of shops specialize in them so you aren't pinned to the dealer for maintenance anyway.

ASE Cert Auto tech, 92 GTI16V 2.0L- A total problem car(hahahahahahahahahahahahaha)
cum2000x

Re: Volkswagen Jetta. I have an '03 Jetta TDI wag

Postby Undenties » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:02 am

I have an '03 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 speed, with every luxury option. Have put over 148,000 miles on it with 2 minor repairs (glow plug harness and an inside door handle cable). Will beat nearly anything from a stop light and do 90 mph on the interstate before you know it, averaging 48 mpg in the process. Best car I've ever owned.

BUT GET THE DIESEL!!!
Undenties

Re: Volkswagen Jetta. nice cars but expensive to main

Postby householdautofinance11 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:36 pm

reed_2000 wrote:Is the Volkswagen Jetta a good car? I heard that after 1995 they became lemons-is this true? I really love these cars, and would like to consider buying one next year, but a relatively problem-free car is of great importance to me!

nice cars but expensive to maintain,if you buy one you might as well get a more reliable car like a bmw
householdautofinance11

Re: Volkswagen Jetta. I have a 2001 Diesel TDI. I ab

Postby fcddcdesd » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:27 am

I have a 2001 Diesel TDI. I absolutely love the car but have had a share of problems... they havent perfected the transmission, window regulators, or electrical BUT you cannot kill a VW engine.

I got the car used at 100 000km and treat it like my baby... it now had 160k and I have had some of the electrical short (minor) on the inside dask lights, the regulator on the driver side is very finicey and if you touch it very lightly to go down it may inch up instead :), glow plugs went... and newly I am going to have to re-vamp the entire tranny.

Overall I love this car but like any car it does have its problems. They are a bit pricey to maintain but will out live you.
fcddcdesd

Re: Volkswagen Jetta. it is a nice car, but it is exp

Postby Ferriosal » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:50 am

it is a nice car, but it is expensive to maintain. i think if you want the most chance of a trouble free car get a Lexus. But if you want a german car, its better to get a 3 series instead of a Jetta. The 3 series is more reliable and comes with free maintenance for first 4 yrs
Ferriosal

Re: Volkswagen Jetta. Nice car, but NOT a problem-fre

Postby byronkaliyah » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:51 pm

Nice car, but NOT a problem-free car at all. Several of my customers have complained about multiple problems with that car. I opted out of buying one myself for that reason. I even steered away from the Audi A4 because they share so many parts... and I love that car.
byronkaliyah

Re: Volkswagen Jetta.

Postby Brian00 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:00 pm

I don't know myself, cause I only had different models but I heard from a friend that it's not that great. He was complaining a lot about it. This and that doesn't work, this and that broke, etc. So that's what I heard, but then again this guy drives all his cars like a F1 driver, so might have something to do with that as well. Haha.
Brian00

Re: Volkswagen Jetta.

Postby padurar2009 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:42 pm

My wife have a car like this and it is ok. I think that if you want to by a used car you must check carefully in a machine shop. Thel all it is good.

Next

Return to Volkswagen Forum