Why is there a major water leak on the passenger side footwell of my Vokswagen Passat 1.8 1999 car. .

Why is there a major water leak on the passenger side footwell of my Vokswagen Passat 1.8 1999 car. .

Postby brigadion » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:21 am

My Volkswagen Passat 1.8 1999 car has had water leaking into the passenger side foot well only and this is particularly bad when it has been raining. The water is clear and does not have any obvious smell, although obviously the car interior starts smelling musty due to the damp. It is quite a copious amount of water, quite literally a puddle! There seems to be more water at the back than at the front (though this could be because the rear foot well is lower than the front one, but is also wet nevertheless) and only on the passenger side. As far as I can see, all window and door seals appear intact. I am now having issues with the central locking/electric windows/wing mirrors, interior lighting etc, most likely because of the moisture and the windows are constantly misted up horrendously. I don't think it is anything to do with the radiator/heating system as there is no obvious coolant leakage/drainage. I just need to some advice as to what could be leaking, how I can stop it right now and how to prevent it happening in the future. I would appreciate any help with this!! Thank you in advance.
brigadion

Re: Why is there a major water leak on the passenger side footwell of my Vokswagen Passat 1.8 1999 car. . check your engine/ anticoolant

Postby bonnytilo » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:42 am

check your engine/ anticoolant thing
bonnytilo

Re: Why is there a major water leak on the passenger side footwell of my Vokswagen Passat 1.8 1999 car. . Had the same problem with my 20

Postby thucoha » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:52 pm

Had the same problem with my 2003 V5 Passat.

I noticed that the LH A post trim ( the interior trim that runs parallel with the front screen ) was a darker colour. When i felt it, it was wet and when i accelerated, water ran from the headliner onto the back of the rear seat .

If you have a sunroof fitted , open it fully and using something like an empty squeezy bottle , sqirt water into the LH front corner of the sunroof aperture where the drain hole is.

If this is clear, water should drain away and run out a "flap" situated between the LHF door hinges. If not, let the pool build up slightly and stick some soft thin flexable wire down the tube and work it back and forth a few times, the pooled water will help carry the blockage away.
thucoha

Re: Why is there a major water leak on the passenger side footwell of my Vokswagen Passat 1.8 1999 car. . HI On many cars the heater

Postby karl » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:46 pm

brigadion wrote:My Volkswagen Passat 1.8 1999 car has had water leaking into the passenger side foot well only and this is particularly bad when it has been raining. The water is clear and does not have any obvious smell, although obviously the car interior starts smelling musty due to the damp. It is quite a copious amount of water, quite literally a puddle! There seems to be more water at the back than at the front (though this could be because the rear foot well is lower than the front one, but is also wet nevertheless) and only on the passenger side. As far as I can see, all window and door seals appear intact. I am now having issues with the central locking/electric windows/wing mirrors, interior lighting etc, most likely because of the moisture and the windows are constantly misted up horrendously. I don't think it is anything to do with the radiator/heating system as there is no obvious coolant leakage/drainage. I just need to some advice as to what could be leaking, how I can stop it right now and how to prevent it happening in the future. I would appreciate any help with this!! Thank you in advance.

HI

On many cars the heater core is under the dash . when you turn the heater on it really does nothing but turn a fan on that blows air through the heater core ( small radiator )

in the passenger compartment First open the hood see if you have two hoses about 1 inch in diameter (black ) going through the wall between the passenger compartment and engine compartment usually on the passengers side

They are the hoses that feed the heater core ! you can cut the hoses and join them together to buy bypass the heater core Heater core leak is the only thing I can think of for water getting in to the passenger compartment except for rain getting in because of a bad seal or hole in the body

Steve
karl

Re: Why is there a major water leak on the passenger side footwell of my Vokswagen Passat 1.8 1999 car. . if its water door not sealing o

Postby Edna Wright » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:46 pm

if its water door not sealing or there is a plug out under carpet eay to have someone spray water on car while one sits inside and looks but if its smells of coolant its a heater core bad so it dont smell so door seal bad or door is not closing right should be eay to repalce seal or adjust door
Edna Wright

Re: Why is there a major water leak on the passenger side footwell of my Vokswagen Passat 1.8 1999 car. . There are two likely sources of

Postby kishore » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:09 am

There are two likely sources of water ingress:

Firstly, check your sunroof (if fitted): It should have drain holes in the front corners of the tray, visible with the roof fully open. Pour water into the tray & it should quickly disappear & be ejected through tubes behind the front wheels. If the water just sits there, the tubes are most probably blocked & will need to be carefully cleared with a soft, flexible wire.

The second option is failure of the moisture barriers in the doors - check the drain holes in the bottoms of all of the doors, and see if the bottoms of any of the door cards are soggy. You can then strip the offending door & check further.
kishore

Re: Why is there a major water leak on the passenger side footwell of my Vokswagen Passat 1.8 1999 car. . have u got rust holes? check yo

Postby alotering » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:21 pm

have u got rust holes? check you got full water tanks or fill up and see if you lose n e i thin your gonaneed to get it seald up
alotering

Re: Why is there a major water leak on the passenger side footwell of my Vokswagen Passat 1.8 1999 car. . Most likely cause is water coll

Postby kettyhall » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:18 pm

Most likely cause is water collected in the air filter box area draining into the car because the drains are blocked :-(

Beware though and get the problem looked at.

The problems you are having is because the comfort module is beneath the carpet on the side your new pool is.

It is getting wet and shorting out thus not working right.

Get the drains cleared and dry everything out carefully.
kettyhall

Re: Why is there a major water leak on the passenger side footwell of my Vokswagen Passat 1.8 1999 car. . I do not have knowledge of the

Postby AnnoumbsesMum » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:22 pm

I do not have knowledge of the Passat but in many cars the heater air intake below the windscreen lets in water which is then drained by two pipes which usually lead down to the front wheel area. These often get blocked by leaves and general crud. Open bonnet (hood if USA) and see if the area underneath is wet and if you can locate these drains and if there is water around clear them by "rodding" through with some sort of small flexible wire. If the car is fairly old, as yours is,blockage of the drains can lead to corrosion in this area can sometimes lead to perforation of the metal above the footwell and water ingress,
AnnoumbsesMum

Re: Why is there a major water leak on the passenger side f

Postby charls07 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:49 pm

The problems you're having is as a result of the comfort module is at a lower place the carpet on the facet your new pool is.

cargo trailers for sale
charls07

Next

Return to Volkswagen Forum