Is a 1999 Volvo S70 a good car to buy.

Is a 1999 Volvo S70 a good car to buy.

Postby Taresanol » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:07 am

My wife has a 1998 Chevrolet Cavilier with 150k miles on it. This year we have had to put a lot of maintenance work into it (mostly stuff that hasn't broke down but probably would in the near future). She is getting tired of having it in the shop, says she doesn't feel safe, and wants a new car.

My mother-in-law has found a 1999 Volvo S7 Sedan with 120k miles on it for $5000. We have always heard good things about Volvo and thier longevity but looking at ConsumerReports (gives it an "average" rating) and other sites I'm not convinced this would be a good bet and that we would just be paying $5k to without improving our situation.

Does anyone have any advice on where else to get more information about this vehicle that may help one way or the other make this decision?
Taresanol

Re: Is a 1999 Volvo S70 a good car to buy. Volvo's are nice cars but e

Postby illarionovantonand » Fri May 15, 2009 4:02 pm

Volvo's are nice cars but expensive to fix unless you can do it for her. The 99 is not really new and I would not buy it for 5,000. She would be better off with a used jeep Cherokee they run for over 200,000 miles not to bad on gas but, no problems.
illarionovantonand

Re: Is a 1999 Volvo S70 a good car to buy. The s70 is a great car, however

Postby DevilEvilTadi » Fri May 15, 2009 7:32 pm

The s70 is a great car, however maintainance on a european car can get expensive, check with the owner and see the records of maintainance, also you may want a carfax report done to see if it has been in any accidents, overall they are very safe and reliable if they have been maintained, timing belt? tune ups? brakes? Check engine light on?
DevilEvilTadi

Re: Is a 1999 Volvo S70 a good car to buy. www.iihs.org www.safercar.gov

Postby cheddyept » Tue May 19, 2009 1:55 am

Taresanol wrote:My wife has a 1998 Chevrolet Cavilier with 150k miles on it. This year we have had to put a lot of maintenance work into it (mostly stuff that hasn't broke down but probably would in the near future). She is getting tired of having it in the shop, says she doesn't feel safe, and wants a new car.

My mother-in-law has found a 1999 Volvo S7 Sedan with 120k miles on it for $5000. We have always heard good things about Volvo and thier longevity but looking at ConsumerReports (gives it an "average" rating) and other sites I'm not convinced this would be a good bet and that we would just be paying $5k to without improving our situation.

Does anyone have any advice on where else to get more information about this vehicle that may help one way or the other make this decision?

www.iihs.org

www.safercar.gov

www.fueleconomy.gov

www.edmunds.com

www.internetautoguide.com/auto-recalls/09-int/1999/volvo/s70/index.html

I love Saabs and Volvos. Both cars nickel and dime you, but at least they are safer than what your wife is driving now. I absolutely would NOT buy this car if you are looking for more reliability and less time in the shop.
cheddyept

Re: Is a 1999 Volvo S70 a good car to buy. Volvo's are nice c

Postby josentiu » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:28 am

illarionovantonand wrote:Volvo's are nice cars but expensive to fix unless you can do it for her. The 99 is not really new and I would not buy it for 5,000. She would be better off with a used jeep Cherokee they run for over 200,000 miles not to bad on gas but, no problems.

Just a signed up today and i agree on you buddy. I believe volvo is a car that you can find pleasure driving with. i have my second volvo and im enjoying it. Performance is superb and maintenance could be easily done with the presence of online stores that offer Volvo parts...
josentiu

Re: Is a 1999 Volvo S70 a good car to buy.

Postby stenejohn » Tue May 29, 2012 6:36 am

Hi,
Definitely Volvo S70 is great car due its features and shiny look.
so don't worry but this deal will be beneficial for you.

Thank you.
Truck Trader
stenejohn

Re: Is a 1999 Volvo S70 a good car to buy.

Postby insane.nick » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:06 am

According to me you can invest money in it but its better to buy the all new Volvo S 90 or XC60.Volvo XC60 steps boldly into what is the motoring world's toughest and fastest-growing segment. Boasting an exciting mix of two car styles - down below the capable XC muscles are pumped up, creating a strong athletic body mated with high ground clearance and large wheels. Up above, the flowing lines create the sporty charisma.

With the launch of Volvo XC60, we're widening our model range to attract even more customers with an active urban lifestyle. This car is for a target group that imposes high demands on design, brand integrity and high-tech content in its choice of lifestyle products"
insane.nick

Return to Volvo Forum