My Volvo S40 car alarm keeps going off for no reason. Any suggestions on a remedy.

My Volvo S40 car alarm keeps going off for no reason. Any suggestions on a remedy.

Postby autoloanrate11 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:11 am

All doors and windows are secure/fully closed. There appears to be no obvious reason for the alarm sounding. It can happen after ten minutes or a couple of hours. Been up all night trying to stop the alarm waking the neighbours.
autoloanrate11

Re: My Volvo S40 car alarm keeps going off for no reason. Any suggestions on a remedy. If you have alarm sensors (ie t

Postby Ferriosal » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:47 am

If you have alarm sensors (ie the ones that point into the car from above the windscreen) move them so they point more towards the center of the car.
Ferriosal

Re: My Volvo S40 car alarm keeps going off for no reason. Any suggestions on a remedy. check hood sensor adjustment. i

Postby Cookies_n_cream » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:55 am

check hood sensor adjustment. i have had several customers with various makes that when the wind blew it would ever so slightly lift the hood {boot lid can do this too] and cause the alarm to ring off. you can test for this with a glaziers suction cup. set the alarm and use suction cup to pull at the suspected door hood or trunk panal. if it rings off you have found the failing/out of adjustment sensor
Cookies_n_cream

Re: My Volvo S40 car alarm keeps going off for no reason. Any suggestions on a remedy. hopefully you are still under w

Postby achierattex » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:09 am

autoloanrate11 wrote:All doors and windows are secure/fully closed. There appears to be no obvious reason for the alarm sounding. It can happen after ten minutes or a couple of hours. Been up all night trying to stop the alarm waking the neighbours.

hopefully you are still under warranty. Take the car to your dealer. I had this happen with an XC-70. Took it to the dealer and they rectified it by replacing a bunch of alarm-related stuff. Afterwards - no more problems. Good luck!
achierattex

Re: My Volvo S40 car alarm keeps going off for no reason. Any suggestions on a remedy. its haunted.

Postby nocreditcheckauto11 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:20 am

autoloanrate11 wrote:All doors and windows are secure/fully closed. There appears to be no obvious reason for the alarm sounding. It can happen after ten minutes or a couple of hours. Been up all night trying to stop the alarm waking the neighbours.

its haunted.
nocreditcheckauto11

Re: My Volvo S40 car alarm keeps going off for no reason. Any suggestions on a remedy. Had this problem on a Puma - so

Postby 656 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:19 pm

Had this problem on a Puma - solution was the bonnet alarm switch. The contacts were dirty. Try operating the bonnet sensor a few times. It may be as simple as that.

Re: My Volvo S40 car alarm keeps going off for no reason. Any suggestions on a remedy. a door/boot/bonnet sensor

Postby vozsemjon » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:44 am

a door/boot/bonnet sensor
vozsemjon

Re: My Volvo S40 car alarm keeps going off for no reason. Any suggestions on a remedy. Had the same problem myself on

Postby fulaconi » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:26 pm

Had the same problem myself on my T4. Took it to the main dealer who changed the remote battery and reset/reprogrammed the main alarm (apparently), why he canged the remote battery i do not know, but after its visit it never happened again. didnt charge me either..
fulaconi

Re: My Volvo S40 car alarm keeps going off for no reason. Any suggestions on a remedy. Your battery might be knackered

Postby Alfonzo Willis » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:26 pm

Your battery might be knackered, check if its holding a charge. You may even have a power drain somewhere!
Alfonzo Willis

Re: My Volvo S40 car alarm keeps going off for no reason. Any suggestions on a remedy. Do you live close to a mobile p

Postby DenterkJSeasl » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:39 pm

Do you live close to a mobile phone transmitter or even digital radio comms have been known to set my V40 off. The phone transmitters actually caused me problems when closing or trying to open the car via the alarm fob.

My belief is the frequency bands are very close or in fact overlapping.
DenterkJSeasl

Next

Return to Volvo Forum