My Volvo brakes thump and the car shakes only after driving a half hour. Anyone w/ ideas on what is wrong.

My Volvo brakes thump and the car shakes only after driving a half hour. Anyone w/ ideas on what is wrong.

Postby Launciada » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:23 pm

The mechanic say nothing is wrong that he can see. The car brakes are fine around town, yet when I drive 30 miles+ to work and then when I apply the brake the car has a loud thumping (ABS?) and shakes violently. Of course then the wheels feel hot. If I let the car sit and cool down a bit, I don't have problems. That is, until I have driven for at least a half an hour.
Launciada

Postby Launciada » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:23 pm

The mechanic say nothing is wrong that he can see. The car brakes are fine around town, yet when I drive 30 miles+ to work and then when I apply the brake the car has a loud thumping (ABS?) and shakes violently. Of course then the wheels feel hot. If I let the car sit and cool down a bit, I don't have problems. That is, until I have driven for at least a half an hour.
Launciada

Re: My Volvo brakes thump and the car shakes only after driving a half hour. Anyone w/ ideas on what is wrong. Ask the mechanic to check the t

Postby Abpoterjo7 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:13 pm

Ask the mechanic to check the tie rods.
Abpoterjo7

Re: My Volvo brakes thump and the car shakes only after driving

Postby dariuswilkinson » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:23 am

Two possible problems i had figured out with your car. it's either an electrical issue or a bearing issue. better check both of the two including switches and wires being associated with the alternator. if some parts are required to be replaced then, you should replace it asap. you need not to worry in searching them though because there are a lot of auto parts store that carry volvo parts...
dariuswilkinson

Return to Volvo Forum