Jump starting a car using a Volvo.

Postby Franchid » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:42 pm

Had a flat battery but opted to use neighbours car as the donor instead of mums because her car is a Volvo V40. Advice is that all lights and radios should be off, Volvos always have lights on so I wasn't sure whether using a Volvo during a jump start might damage the electrical system. Can anyone clarify this?

Also its not marked on the battery but I can safely assume its a 12 Volt battery right?
Franchid

Postby Franchid » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:42 pm

Had a flat battery but opted to use neighbours car as the donor instead of mums because her car is a Volvo V40. Advice is that all lights and radios should be off, Volvos always have lights on so I wasn't sure whether using a Volvo during a jump start might damage the electrical system. Can anyone clarify this?

Also its not marked on the battery but I can safely assume its a 12 Volt battery right?
Franchid

Re: Jump starting a car using a Volvo. It will not damage a single thi

Postby jenfinadv » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:11 am

It will not damage a single thing.
jenfinadv

Re: Jump starting a car using a Volvo. a jump is a jump is a jump,,,

Postby AlexJefferson » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:32 pm

a jump is a jump is a jump,,,
AlexJefferson

Re: Jump starting a car using a Volvo.

Postby dariuswilkinson » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:40 am

Franchid wrote:Had a flat battery but opted to use neighbours car as the donor instead of mums because her car is a Volvo V40. Advice is that all lights and radios should be off, Volvos always have lights on so I wasn't sure whether using a Volvo during a jump start might damage the electrical system. Can anyone clarify this?

There might be a problem on the compatibility of the battery. It does not mean they would fit even if they have the same brand. There are cases where you need to check it first before doing anything. Anyway the best way to to provide your own car battery rather than using another one. There are discount auto parts available in local junks as well as online and you can have an access to them as you wish.
dariuswilkinson

Re: Jump starting a car using a Volvo.

Postby stenejohn » Tue May 29, 2012 5:22 am

Hi,
It won't hurt anything, and yes all cars since the early 60's are 12 volt.
Just make sure you get the negative and positive correct on both and you should not have a problem.

Thank you.
ATV Trader
stenejohn

Return to Volvo Forum