What is the best way to stop the battery drain on my punto.

What is the best way to stop the battery drain on my punto.

Postby Grilasid » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:39 am

I've got a 2003 fiat punto active sport 16v, with an alpine head unit, 300w rms/ 1200w peak subwoofer, and a 560watt 6 channel amp.

When i really have the bass turned up all of my lights dim when the bass pounds.

Is this bad for my car?

Also, my battery seems to drain when the car is left for a few days, the battery is only about 3 months old.
Grilasid

Re: What is the best way to stop the battery drain on my punto. The best way to stop the batter

Postby AndroniPioper22 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:43 pm

The best way to stop the battery drain is to fix the short.
AndroniPioper22

Re: What is the best way to stop the battery drain on my punto. Probably The Alternator on your

Postby Amopypecymn » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:28 am

Probably The Alternator on your Punto is not good enough for that size Sound system.
Amopypecymn

Re: What is the best way to stop the battery drain on my punto. Simply put, cars are designed s

Postby DonJuanne » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:51 pm

Simply put, cars are designed stock to use that much power for the stereo. I have about 3000 watts RMS running through my car, and my lights never dim. How'd I do it? Kinetik PowerCells. I have three small batteries in the back of my car and a really really big one that replaced my front one. I would recommend getting a Kinetik HC600 to put in the back of your car. With the amount of power going through your amp, this should solve your problem easily
DonJuanne

Re: What is the best way to stop the battery drain on my punto. If you can't find out what

Postby AndroniPioper22 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:42 am

If you can't find out what ins draining the battery put a relay switch on. Like the race cars have.
AndroniPioper22

Re: What is the best way to stop the battery drain on my punto. if i was you i would take the c

Postby bigbigdady » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:22 pm

if i was you i would take the car to the garage, something is not wired up right
bigbigdady

Re: What is the best way to stop the battery drain on my punto. you need a capacitor. they cos

Postby AppesMiteType » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:08 am

you need a capacitor. they cost between 30 and 200 us dollars. it stores the charge so your system doesnt drain your battery. your system shouldnt be powerful enough to need a capacitor though... but this is probably your best solution. easy to install, and get a cheaper one instead of a high end one.
AppesMiteType

Re: What is the best way to stop the battery drain on my punto. maybe install a capacitor and r

Postby Horratoniu » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:56 pm

Grilasid wrote:I've got a 2003 fiat punto active sport 16v, with an alpine head unit, 300w rms/ 1200w peak subwoofer, and a 560watt 6 channel amp.

When i really have the bass turned up all of my lights dim when the bass pounds.

Is this bad for my car?

Also, my battery seems to drain when the car is left for a few days, the battery is only about 3 months old.

maybe install a capacitor and replace a bigger battery

like this

http://picasaweb.google.com/alpcaraudio/CarAccessories/photo#5085219254892764866

b4 stop the engine give ur battery a few minute to recharge .
Horratoniu

Re: What is the best way to stop the battery drain on my punto. Hello, Your factory alternat

Postby Sdsdddddddddddddddddddd » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:47 am

Hello,

Your factory alternator may not be up to the job of maintaining the state of charge of your battery. This is becuase normally, the battery's function is to start the car, once it runs, the alternator takes the role of supplying the electrical components in the car. But when you use a high power hi-fi system, the alternator is unable to supply the current peaks (when playing the bass portions in the music), therefore the required energy is covered from the battery. But since the alternator is always busy supplying the hi-fi, it's unable to charge the battery properly, which result in slower or faster discharge of the battery. This is very harmful for the starter battery, since they are not designed to be use cyclically (that means, you can't discharge and then recharge it regulary).

Since you have fairly powerful amps, you should do at least two things in my opinion:

1. Get an alternator with a higher current rating (for this application I suggest at least a 100 A unit)

2. Get a special starter battery for this kind of application, possible an AGM or a spiral cell battery. The reasons are that they generally tolerate cyclic use far better than lead-acid batteries which ensures that they will keep their starting ability for a longer time; second, AGM and sprial cell batteries respond to high current spikes and peaks very well, which will result in a better sound quality and lower distortion (lead-acid and batteries can supply the peaks, but the audio output will be distorted at maximum juice), in some simplier application the use of spiral cell batteries allow the high capacity capacitor to be omitted.

For a battery, I recommend you an Exide Maxxima DC or an Optima Red Top. They are expensive, but worth the investment.

I hope this helps you!

Regards
Sdsdddddddddddddddddddd

Re: What is the best way to stop the battery drain on my punto. firstly get ur altenator checke

Postby RamTredgeHade » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:15 am

Grilasid wrote:I've got a 2003 fiat punto active sport 16v, with an alpine head unit, 300w rms/ 1200w peak subwoofer, and a 560watt 6 channel amp.

Is this bad for my car?

firstly get ur altenator checked to see if is puting out the correct charge .or get the bty checked it could be discharging to quickley .also check that no lights are being left on when stopped espically the boot light. once your bty goes below a certain charge ur car will not charge it up again it has to go on a bty charger
RamTredgeHade

Next

Return to Fiat Forum