How easy or hard is it to change Wheel Bearings on Fiat Punto.

How easy or hard is it to change Wheel Bearings on Fiat Punto.

Postby RobetMarker44 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:26 am

The bearings on the front wheels of my Fiat Punto need changing and the local garage is backed up for weeks (they've had my Ducato motor home since November). Can anyone talk me (well hubby really) through how to do it?
RobetMarker44

Re: How easy or hard is it to change Wheel Bearings on Fiat Punto. is he good with spanners? easy

Postby hrebghefew » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:28 pm

is he good with spanners?

easy realy well i would say that i am a mechanic!

it is a little coplex to put on this page e mail me then i will give you step by step info

withieringtonkeith@yahoo.co.uk
hrebghefew

Re: How easy or hard is it to change Wheel Bearings on Fiat Punto. Not difficult to do but you wil

Postby Fssd » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:09 am

RobetMarker44 wrote:The bearings on the front wheels of my Fiat Punto need changing and the local garage is backed up for weeks (they've had my Ducato motor home since November). Can anyone talk me (well hubby really) through how to do it?

Not difficult to do but you will need a torque wrench, a good socket set and a free couple of hours!

Take off wheel and remove hub centre cap and undo the nut (very tight)! Somone will need to be in the car to apply brakes and make sure car is in high gear! Once the nut is off the bearing should be visible - remove it! Apply good quality high melting point grease to the new bearing and fit! Replace the nut and tighten to the specified torque using the torque wrench! Put wheel back on and move to the next!

Make sure you TIGHTEN TO SPECIFIED TORQUE SETTING!

Should be about it!
Fssd

Re: How easy or hard is it to change Wheel Bearings on Fiat Punto. That is not realy a job for an

Postby suupersvintus » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:26 am

That is not realy a job for an amateur so many things can go wrong and it could be dangerous if is not done correctly . my advice if you are going to do it. get you hubby to invest in a workshop manual they are not exspencive , most local car spare shops sell them . it will give you a step by step guide and also point out all the pitfalls
suupersvintus

Re: How easy or hard is it to change Wheel Bearings on Fiat Punto. gsf1200 is spot on but beware i

Postby Morekora » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:20 pm

gsf1200 is spot on but beware if a late model with abs the abs sensor is a manetic strip on the inner bearing seal any damage to that affects the abs
Morekora

Re: How easy or hard is it to change Wheel Bearings on Fiat Pun

Postby johnandle » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:08 pm

Hello

Jack up the car and put it on stands, take the wheel off. You need a 1 3/16" deep socket impact to take the center nut off. Once off remove caliper with a #20 Allen 3/8 drive. (be sue to relieve pressure from the caliper piston by taking a pry bar and pushing it inwards. Remove completley and then remove the rotor from the hub. You then need a T-55 Torque 3/8" drive to remove three torques from the face (only through one of the three open holes). Once off you should have some fun getting the bearing/hub assembly off. Using an air chisel you can chisel around the outer edge to break it free. Remove it and clean the inside lip and make sure no debris is left in. Also take fine sand paper and clean the inside wall of the hub/bearing area. Grease up the inside and the spline and put the new one on. Lock tite the three torques and torque them to spec and do the same for the main axle shaft nut.

Thanks

Happy shopping
<a href=http://www.softwaredownload1.com>free download</a>

<a href=http://www.softwaredownload1.com>download software</a>

<a href=http://www.softwaredownload1.com>free software download</a>
johnandle

Return to Fiat Forum